How should I react if a young person self-harms?
- Stay calm and don’t panic
- Let the young person know that you are concerned about them
- Make sure they are physically OK. If they have taken an overdose talk with their GP or go with them to the A&E Department
- Don’t be judgemental or say it was “silly”
- Talk about what happened and what triggered this
- They may be embarrassed or ashamed of what they did so be patient.
- The section on SLEEP can help you talk about self-harm and plan what help the young person needs.
Last updated: 15 August, 2016